December 10, 2004

Well, it's official: I am now deathly afraid of 60% of Americans. The results of the latest USAToday/Gallup poll were released today, and 60% of Americans now think that the war in Iraq was a good idea - and the main reason given for this rise in their approval for the war was Bush's 2-hour layover in Baghdad on Thanksgiving!

Are you serious? Are there really 60% of Americans who are that easy to manipulate with a photo-op? It's hard to even write anything about how ridiculous an idea that is, because - well - because it's so utterly ridiculous!

If this poll is any indication of the state of the union, then Bush is already guaranteed a second term in office. Apparently, all he'll have to do is pose for a few pictures, such as some with babies, some with the war-wounded, some with the handicapped, some with people of various religions and ethnicities - you get the picture (no pun intended).

60% of Americans say that it's good enough for them! If that doesn't scare you, you're not paying attention. Can this country even survive another four years of reckless spending, an astronomical deficit, more unemployment, more trashing of the environment, more disregard for international protocol, more dead and maimed young Americans, more lies, more secrecy, more bait-and-switch? And that's just the short list.

Man, how do you even comment on a poll like this? Where do you start? This poll proves to the world that a majority of Americans are gullible, ignorant, uneducated, lazy, and just plain suckers. But don't take my word for it; think about it for yourself. Before his layover in Baghdad, Bush's approval rating was sinking fast, and so was approval for his war. So bing-bada-boom, he takes a quick trip, makes sure there are lots of clicking cameras, and 60% of Americans suddenly think that the war, as a whole, was a good idea now. Bush serves mashed potatoes to the troops, for ten minutes, and 60% of Americans rethink their opinion of this disastrous war (and the myriad problems it encompasses).

Did somebody ask why the rest of the world is chuckling at the intelligence of the average American?

I could write volumes about this, but 60% of Americans would never grasp any of it. That scares the crap out of me, and it should scare you, too. It goes way beyond Bush and the election of 2004. It speaks volmes about the state of this country and its citizens, who are ultimately responsible for its well-being.

Hopefully, it's the other 40% of Americans who are reading this, and hopefully you're concerned enough to do something about the other 60%.


The author can be reached at 1